The University has a history going back to 1950, now in its 67th year. There have been some notable events in its life.
1950 - it was founded as a teacher's institute; First admissions of 150 students
1952 – First Graduation of teachers
1955 - it was reorganized as a Pedagogical Institute; Two faculties (philological and physico-mathematical) and five departments (Marxism-Leninism, pedagogy and psychology, physical education, Russian language and literature, physics and mathematics) were established in the newly created pedagogical university. The first reception consisted of 250 students at 125 in each faculty.
1956 - A correspondence course was opened at both faculties. The Department of Physics and Mathematics was divided
1959 - The first graduation took place at the Faculty of Philology
1960 – First graduations in physics and mathematics.
1961 - The first graduation of correspondence students took place in 1961
1962 - the faculty of pedagogy and methods of primary education was opened
1966-67 - In the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics, the Department of Biology was reorganized into an independent biology and chemistry faculty.
1972 - the construction of a standard hostel for 632 places (dormitory No. 2) was completed
1976 - the standard educational building of the Institute was commissioned
1977 - the building of the Physics and Mathematics Faculty was moved to a new educational building for the new music and pedagogical faculty (now - educational building No. 3).
1977 - on the basis of pre-existing departments on the specialties "Music and singing", "Pedagogy and methods of primary education", the music and pedagogical faculty was opened
1978 - the decision of the Guryev Oblast Executive Committee passed to the institute a land plot with a garden of 10 hectares for an agrobiological station
1978-79, the GPI was twice awarded with the banner of the Central Committee of the Young Communist League of Kazakhstan
1986 - the Kurdastar student dining hall was put into operation for 220 seats. In
1988 - a sports complex was opened,
1988 - the student hostel №3 of the sectional type for 400 places was put into operation
1989 - for the first time in the history of the Institute, a seventy-apartment house was built for teachers and staff of the university. In the same year the construction of a four-storey extension to the educational building for 1200 places began
1994 - the University was established by the Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Kazakhstan No. 584 dated 2.06.1994;
1999 - the University got legal form of the Republican State Enterprises (RSE);
2001 - Kh. Dosmukhamedov Atyrau University was renamed as "Kh. Dosmukhamedov Atyrau State University" RSE by Decree of the RK dated 31.01.2001, No. 544
2010 - a Magna Carta Universitatum was signed, Kh. Dosmukhamedov Atyrau State University officially joined the Bologna process;
2012 - "Kh. Dosmukhamedov Atyrau State University" RSE was reorganized as "Kh. Dosmukhamedov Atyrau State University" Republican State Enterprise with the Right of Economic Use by Decree of the RK dated 28.04.2012, No. 544